Featured Article of the Week
- Does that beautiful new diaper bag have a zipper top? It should. While you’re pushing you’re new baby on the swing opportunistic thieves can casually walk past the park bench, reach in your bag and grab your wallet.
- Practice folding up and folding out that new stroller a bunch of times without the baby. Fumbling with the stroller is a rite of passage for new moms. We’ve all been there. Unfortunately it also makes you look like an easy target. Think of how simple it would be for someone to catch you by surprise and grab your bag or worse.
- There’s a lot of talk about where to breastfeed, what to wear etc. While I’m 100% for your right to breastfeed in public, it’s important to be aware of your surroundings. While you and I understand this is a beautiful natural thing…the reality is there are a lot of bad guys who only think of boobs as a sexual body part. If you feel a “creepy” person looking at you, listen to that feeling. This is not a time to have a philosophical discussion about your right to breastfeed. This is a time to listen to your instincts and keep yourself safe.
- Speaking of listening to your instincts…you MUST listen to your gut, the hair on the back of your neck, the little voice…whatever you want to call it. This is a gift we’ve been given, use it. When your gut tells you something is not right, listen. Change your course and stay safe.
- Finally, take a reputable self-defense course. When you feel empowered others can see your confidence. As such you’re no longer an easy target.
Knowledge is power. You’ve taken the first step by reading this blog. No bad guy is looking for a strong victim. Why should they when there’re so many easy targets available? This new adventure you’re on will be amazing and overwhelming at the same time…throughout the journey be the strongest mom you can be! For more information check out www.SafeintheCity.co or for info on ways to stay safe both online & off take a look at our new parent empowerment program at www.GetSafeAcademy.com.